101 Fun and Creative Date Night Ideas in The Greater Lansing Area
If you’re in a relationship, we all have the common goal of cultivating and keeping that spark alive. Sometimes keeping those date nights unique can be tough. In part because of wanting something new to do and other times because we are wanting to stay within our budgets. After all, we still have to pay the babysitter, right? Well – we can help! We’ve made a list of 101 things to do in Lansing on a date night.
If you’re in the mood to go all out or just do something chill, here is a diverse list of things we think you’ll love doing together. We also like to use this list for fun things to do with friends.
101+ Fun Things to Do for Date Night in Lansing
Listed below are 101 things to do in Lansing for a fun night out with your sweetie.
We’ve got ideas for where to eat, where to chill, adventure date spots and more. Click on one of these categories to go directly to the Lansing date night ideas that interest you.
Eat – Where to Wine + Dine on Your Date Night
Favorite Date Restaurants in Lansing
Go to Dinner or Lunch. the greater Lansing area has exploded in the last few years with dining options.
Here are some of our favorite locations for great food + fun atmosphere.
**Writer’s note: This is NOT an all-inclusive list of the places around town. This list is suggestions our team thinks you’ll enjoy. If you have a date night restaurant spot you’d like to see included, let us know by commenting below.
LANSING RESTAURANTS – DOWNTOWN, REO TOWN, & OLD TOWN
Play board games, eat delicious snacks, and try their rotating drink options. They also have a non-alcoholic menu that is really tasty and fun, making this a perfect destination for all.
They are known for their coffee but have many other drink options as well as food.
Funky and unique pizza. Order the “Trust Us” and you won’t be disappointed. Afterward, head next door to Zoobies for drinks.
They’ve got specialty is burgers, beignets, and bourbon. Try one of their unique burgers on a house-made bun.
Watch for their new location coming soon to REO Town. They call themselves beer scientists and allow BYOF (bring your own food.)
LBC is always a great choice for games and beers on tap. Also, enjoy their live music on the patio during the warmer months.
A night out here is a win for lots of reasons – read why here! You’ll love their drink menu and all-around atmosphere.
Mmmmm, I can almost taste it now just thinking about it – We love going here because of all the fun sauces to try and rustic vibe. Copper cups and mason jar waters make this a really fun place to dine.
Fun, tasty, and lots of options!
We loved hanging here this past summer to eat on their patio from the food truck parked on the grounds each day.
Rain or shine, this place rocks!
LANSING RESTAURANTS – EASTSIDE
The tapas-style food and beverages are delicious with a really fun, chill atmosphere. Their patio faces the sunset and is great for those nice summer evenings.
Arguably some of the best ramen in town! But you’ll have to be the judge. Try the Okonomiyaki fries and your taste buds will be dancing all night long.
Amazing staff and live music nights. This restaurant in Lansing has a walk-up ordering station for those nice summer nights when we want to walk around and do a few things in one night.
Just north of Frandor is this casual eatery with a chef-driven menu, plenty of TVs to watch the game, and an emphasis on sushi.
In the summer this can be such a great place if you’re looking for a chill date night out. Sit on the patio, then walk over to Strange Matter for a coffee to make it a date night supreme.
Yummy fish and chips in a casual setting near MSU’s campus. Have a date or catch the game.
Delicious food, small menu, and quaint vibe.
Have you tried the soup flight!? It seems like each time we go here there’s something newly delicious to try. You CAN NOT go wrong hanging here.
GREATER LANSING RESTAURANTS – EAST
Make a reservation to hang out in your own unique Japanese-style seating room.
A great choice for a chill and cozy night.
Summer nights are a dream when you sit on their patio watching the sunset over Lake Lansing.
They offer three seating areas for dining. Plus, pride themselves in an outstanding beer and wine selection.
They call themselves beer scientists. At their East Lansing location, you can BYOF (Bring your own food) plus they have weekly food trucks. Watch for their new location coming soon to REO Town.
Best cheese dip around! You can’t go wrong with complimentary chips and salsa. In the warmer months, it’s dreamy to sit up on the patio at the East Lansing location. Try their new patio at the westside location, as well!
This new rooftop bar on the top of The Graduate Hotel in East Lansing is one-of-a-kind with a view of Spartan Stadium.
New restaurant in Okemos on (you guessed it) – Jolly Rd! Casual, friendly feel and cool food options.
Delicious, Allergy-friendly, and a guaranteed delicious night out.
Pub food and brews in Williamston.
One word: delectable. Their butter chicken and naan are a 10!
This place is cool! Its darker and smaller quarters make it a great date spot.
There’s nothing not to love about Red Haven. Happy hour is great as well. Soooo good!
Unique seating in the entire restaurant, but rent their special rooms for a unique and special time.
This spot is off the beaten path in East Lansing. It’s got a great vibe and even better ramen. Gluten-free options available.
This is a tasty gem in Williamston.
GREATER LANSING RESTAURANTS – WEST
Choose from their salad bar or hot food bar, then sit in the new lounge area on the north side of the building or on the patio in the summer.
This delicious gem is tucked away near the Lansing mall and a great place for a quiet lovely meal.
Pho’ and Po Boys! What more could you want?! Oh, maybe a Vietnamese coffee would top that off nicely as well.
GREATER LANSING RESTAURANTS – NORTH
This DeWitt destination is a hit! Their extensive knowledge of wine by their sommelier is a treat in itself. Try the fried brussel sprouts – they are perfection.
Head to one of the many restaurants in Eastwood Towne Center that are sure to please your taste buds like Bravo!, Mitchell’s Fish Market, BJ’s, P.F. Chang’s, or Smokey Bones.
This old church turned bar and hangout spot in DeWitt offers trivia, comedy shows, and lots of other fun events throughout the year.
LANSING RESTAURANTS – SOUTH
Naing Myanmar Family Restaurant
Head here for a fantastically authentic and delicious meal.
Delicious authentic Asian food including Thai, Vietnamese, and Chinese.
GREATER LANSING RESTAURANTS – SOUTH
Quaint microbrewery in the heart of downtown Mason, they offer unique brews, heated igloos and greenhouses in the winter, and firepit tables outdoors.
Elegant option for special occasions with delicious food, cozy ambience, breathtaking views of the Grand River, and a bed and breakfast. Want to check it out on a more casual level? Eat at their pub instead.
Watch/Listen – Enriching Date Nights
Ready for a night of bliss for your ears and eyes? Below are date nights from jazz to country, ballet to hip-hop spinning DJ’s, and everywhere in between.
ENRICHING THINGS TO SEE AND HEAR ON A DATE NIGHT
Hear some amazing Jazz (Check their websites for schedules)
- Jazz Fest
- The Avenue experience a show/music performance and eat amazing ramen from Ruckus Ramen.
- The Exchange
- The Green Door
Sing and listen to the Blues (Check their websites for schedules)
Listen to Records together at Record Shops
- Record Lounge in REO Town
- Flat Back and Circular in East Lansing
Listen to Live Music
One North Kitchen & Bar
The Green Door
Go see a Flick together at these theaters:
- Studio C near the Meridian Mall
- Regal Cinema on the west side near the Lansing Mall
- NCG Eastwood on the north side in Eastwood Towne Center
- Celebration Cinema on the south side of Lansing
- Sun Theatre in Williamston
- Eaton Theatre in Charlotte
Experience the Wonder of the Theater:
- Wharton Center
- Riverwalk Theatre
- MSU Department of Theatre
- Lansing Community College
- Peppermint Creek My dad was in a play here once and it was fantastic!
- All of Us Express Children’s Theatre
- Williamston Theatre
- Evolve Theatrics
- Cornwell’s Turkeyville Dinner Theatre
Laugh together at a Comedy Night
Escape Together at an Escape Room
- Breakout Lansing
- Escapology in Lansing
- Challenges East Lansing
- The Pod Escape Room in Lansing
- ESC The Room in East Lansng
See the Beauty of Dance
Greater Lansing Ballet Company
Catch a Drive-in-Movie Take a little road trip to Flint’s US 23 Drive In.
Watch Independent or Foreign films
Listen to Live Music in a Unique Venue:
- Record Lounge
- Loud Space Inc a great place to experience local talent.
Listen and enjoy Classical music at Absolute Music.
Have a blast from that past and go see an 80’s cover band.
Go to an event on Campus
Relax – Where to Have a Chill Date Night
If a relaxing night out sounds like a total dream then this is your list. We don’t get enough relaxing as parents let alone together! Here’s your list of relaxing things to do on a date night in Lansing.
Relax together at a Yoga class:
Get a Couples massage
See some beauty together at an Art Gallery or Museum
- Lansing Art Gallery
- Eli & Edyth Broad Art Musuem
- Michigan History Center
- Absolute Gallery
- Katalyst Art Gallery
Drive. This is one of my favorite things to do when I want to get out of town and spend some quality time with my guy. If you’ve never done this give it a try!
- Old 127 starts at the end of Cedar St. running North. Breathe a little and take in the trees at each season and end up at Uncle Johns Cider Mill. You could walk the orchard, grab a glass of wine in their tasting room, or just keep on driving.
- M-99 starts at the end of MLK running southwest. It will take you through some pretty green fields and plop you right in Eaton Rapids where you could get out and enjoy the view on a couple of their bridges.
- Through MSU Campus. You could get lost in all the winding roads or just take in the beauty that is MSU’s Campus. Either way it’s a great way to have nice talks or just relax together.
Walk through flower gardens.
- MSU Horticulture Gardens and Greenhouses
- Cooley Law School Garden
- LCC Japanese Garden
Chill at a bookstore together with a treat and drink at these locations:
- Schuler Books
- Barnes and Noble
- Book Burrow (a Lansing favorite)
- Curious Books and Archives Book Store
- Deadtime Stories
- Triple Goddess
- Everybody Reads
Go to a Museum
- Eli & Edyth Broad Art Museum
- Michigan History Center
- MSU Museum
- R.E. Olds Transportation Museum
- Curwood Castle/Art Museum
- Ella Sharp Museum
Grab some goodies, kombucha, a beer, or a glass of wine at the wine bar and tavern at Horrocks and sit on the Patio. If you’re feeling really ambitious, walk/run/bike there from the Sharp Park trail!
Explore – Adventure Date Nights
These are some of my favorite things to do on a date night! The excitement of finding something new is awesome plus the closeness and bonding that happens is wonderful too. From stargazing to road trips and hunting for “new” things, we hope you’ll find this list of things to do on an adventurous date night intriguing.
Visit another city!
- Owosso: Lula’s Louisiana Cookhouse a must visit! Grab a craft coffee at Foster Coffee Co and walk their adorable downtown area.
- Williamston: Check out Tavern 109 and walk around the cozy downtown area.
- Grand Rapids is just 45 minutes away with so much to offer!
- Detroit is just an hour drive and is an enormous amount of fun!
- Kalamazoo, home to great coffee shops and great food!
Take a nature walk/hike through:
- One of Lansing’s many trails
- One of our 5 Nature Centers
- Fitzgerald Park Ledges and Trails
Sit under the stars
Scooter through a portion of the city on Bird or Lime scooters parked around town.
Take a ride on the Michigan Princess, Lansing’s Riverboat.
Go Fishing together
- Park Lake, 6499 Park Lake Rd, Bath, MI 48808-9718
- Lake Lansing, 6260 East Lake Drive Haslett, MI 48840
- Sharpe Park, 1401 Elmwood Rd, Lansing, MI 48917
- Crego Park, 1600 Fidelity Road,, Lansing, MI 48910
Pick Fruit at a local Orchard
Go to a Farmers Market
Go Thrifting and Antiquing at some of our top picks:
- Plato’s Closet
- Volunteers of America
- REO Town Marketplace, lots of awesome places located including Vintage Junkies.
- The Mega Mall
- April’s Antiques
- St. Vincent De Paul
- Metro Retro
- Tiny Town
- Williamston Antique Mall
- Livingston Antique Outlet
Check out an Arts Night Out. These nights rotate venues and is a great way to explore new places and artists work in our city.
Visit and explore Old Town
Stroll through REO Town
Take a walking tour of MSU This place is so big that multiple dates doing this might be fun.
Go to a Festival
- Lansing, Old Town, Downtown, REO Town
- East Lansing
- Grand Ledge
Tour – Learning Date Nights
Finding out more about our city can be so much fun with these tours and learning experiences.
Take a self-guided or guided tour of the Capitol building.
Tour the Trails of Lansing Making a list of scavenger items can be a good time during this as well.
Do the Lansing Historic Walking Tour This is on my bucket list this year. If you get to it before we do, we’d love to hear about it.
Take the MSU self-guided tour through campus.
Tour American Fifth Spirits Distillery. Then play some board games or just enjoy the drinks and snacks.
Travel up the Beaumont Tower on MSU’s Campus and possibly get to play the carillon.
Taste – Delicious Date Nights
Going out to eat is great…but doing something a little extra to spice it up is even better! Here are some fun things to do while you’re out to eat on a date night.
THINGS TO DO WHILE OUT TO EAT ON A DATE NIGHT
Eat on the patio
- Tavern and Tap
- Peanut Barrel
- El Azteco East Lansing
- Blue Gill Grill
- Dublin Square
- More options listed on our family friendly list.
Have a Picnic
- In one of Greater Lansing’s amazing parks
- On the river in front at the new Rotary Park (Set to open in fall of 2019.)
Try some fun or unique food at these restaurants:
- Have a night of French cuisine at Envie in downtown Lansing.
- Go to the Church-Brewery at Looking Glass Brewing Co. Grab a Beer, Wine, or Cider. (Yay for GF options!)
- Eat awesome Pizza at Cosmos, then walk next door to Zoobies!
- Go Food Trucking
Tell us your favorites!
- The Creole
- Ramen: Ruckus Ramen in Lansing or Sapporo Ramen in East Lansing
Have some delicious snacks
Have a Coffee at one of these fun shops:
- Strange Matter Downtown Lansing, East Michigan Ave
- Blue Owl REO Town Lansing, East Lansing
- Foster Coffee Co Owosso and East Lansing.
Indulge your sweet tooth with your sweetie at Sweetielicious!
Enjoy wine tasting
- Sandhill Crane Vineyards and Winery 4724 Walz Road, Jackson
- Burgdorf’s Winery
- Uncle John’s Cider Mill
- Chateau Aeronautique Winery
Grab a Beer from a Brewery
- Midtown Brewing
- Lansing Brewing Company
- Ellison Brewery and Spirits
- Michigrain Distillery
- Ozone Brewhouse
- Find more great options on our family friendly list.
Drink Smoothies/Juice/Bubble Tea
Cook – Foodie Date Nights
If you’ve ever seen the movie Chef, Spanglish, or watched any sort of foodie TV then you know how glamorous eating and making food together can seem – spoiler alert! It actually is awesome to do this IRL (in real life!!!) Here are some places to do that here in Lansing.
Al!ve Charlotte Take classes in many types of cooking styles and techniques.
Le Chat Gourmet Eaton Rapids has a full list of fun classes to take with your sweetheart.
Create – Make Things on Your Date Night
Making something together can be so refreshing and inspiring! If you’re a creative person then you’ll love these and if you’re not – don’t worry, these places are ready to help you get started plus give tips to create something wonderful together. Here are some of Lansing’s greatest creatives and creative spots for your next date night.
- Wheel House Studio REO Town, Lansing
- Playing Picasso Frandor, Lansing
- Art Unlimited Okemos
- Sunset Clay Studio Lansing
- REACH Art Studio REO Town, Lansing
Take a print making class with ALT Printing Co. It’s SO fun!
Take a Painting Class
- Lansing Art Gallery call for new class times.
- REACH Art Studio
Try out a variety of Art classes at REACH Art Studio.
Create something great at the Eli & Edyth Broad Art Museum Call for information on class events.
Move/Play – Active Date Nights
Get moving with these Lansing “play” favorites!
Adult Arcade bar Have so much fun at The Grid!
Go Kayaking with Rivertown Adventures. From hour rentals, to events they’ve got so much fun waiting for you!
Go to a Trivia night (Check location for times)
- One North Kitchen & Bar
- The Nuthouse
- Lansing Brewing Company
- Moriarty’s Pub
- Eaton Rapids Craft Company
- Gus’s Bar, Lansing
- Stage – 1785 W State Rd, Lansing
- The Tin Can, East Lansing
- Jimmy’s Pub, East Lansing
- City Limits East, East Lansing, and Mason
- Henry’s Place, 4926 Marsh Rd, Okemos
- The Classic Pub and Grill
- Buddies, Okemos and Holt
- Charlie’s Bar & Grill, Holt, Potterville
- Champions Sports Bar, Holt
- Ryan’s Roadhouse, St. Johns
- Sirens, St Johns
- Wagon Wheel, Portland
- Renucci’s Tavern – 540 N. State St. Ionia
Play board games at American Fifth Spirits while you enjoy the drinks and snacks.
- Spare Time Lansing There are many other fun options here too! Laser Tag, Arcade, and more!
- Royal Scot is a family favorite as well and is located on Lansing’s west side.
- City Limits in East Lansing or Mason
Jump in and swim together.
Play some Volleyball
- Coach’s Pub and Grill
- MiLife Sports
- Spare Time
- Sharp Park, 1401 Elmwood Rd, Lansing, MI 48917
- Trinity Church
- Burchfield Park, 881 Grovenburg Road Holt, MI 48842
- Lake Lansing, 6260 East Lake Drive Haslett, MI 48840
- Reno’s North.
Play a pickup game of basketball
- Schmidt Southside Community Center hosted by City Life Lansing
- Alive! In Charlotte
- Trinity Church
Pickup games of soccer
- Beacon Fields Downtown Lansing, South Lansing
- Lansing Indoor Sports Arena
Bike on your own or with these rental spots:
Play Dodgeball at MiLife Sports
Go Hiking at the many parks and trails around the Greater Lansing Area
Take a run together on one of the many trails around town. Use our trail guide for routes.
Take a dance class:
- Salsa at Platinum Dance Academy
- Ballroom dance at Platinum Dance Academy
- Swing Dancing
Take a Walk on the many trails in our area. Use our trail guide for routes.
Go golfing together. Here are some fun spots for dates:
- XGolf Lansing
Little Hawk Putting Course 18-hole putting course.
Foot Golf in Bath
Play some tennis in one of the parks around town.
Hit the target (or at least try) at Bull’s Eye Axe Throwing in Lansing
Go horseback riding at Sundance Riding Stables or Northfork Farms and Outback
Go rock climbing at Al!ve.
Have a blast at a High Ropes Courses in Howell, MI
Jump for joy together!
Have some Horseshoe fun.
Sled, Go Tubing/sledding in the winter at Burchfield, Granger Meadows Park, or Hawk Island where all have snack bars.
Hold hands while you ice skate
Ski at Mt. Brighton which provides extreme fun not too far from Lansing.
Go Roller Skating and remember what it was like to be young again at Edru Skate
Cheer – Sports and Team Date Nights
Lansing is known for its sports fans and if you’re one of them or your sweetie is, these are some really fun options for a date night.
Cheer on the Lansing Lugnuts At the Cooley Law Stadium
Catch all the action at a Roller Derby
Cheer on Cars, Buses and more at Spartan Speedway
LCC Sports support local talent.
Spartan Basketball Get to the Breslin and cheer on this amazing team!
Spartan Baseball Take em’ out to the ballgame.
Spartan Hockey Ice fights and fast-paced fun at Munn.
Spartan Gymnastics Awe and cheer on the strength of these athletes.
Spartan Swimming and Diving Check out this cool experience in the beautiful old buildings on campus.
5 thoughts on “101 Lansing Date Night Ideas – Including the Best Date Night Restaurants in Lansing”
This is very useful list, Thanks
Connxtions hasn’t been around for years and years, but overall it’s a great list! I would definitely add the free public movie showings on campus at MSU. http://rha.msu.edu/programs/campus-center-cinemas.html
Awesome! Thanks for the info Lina. I’m excited to get this on the list – and try it out myself too! So fun!
Great List! Another paint party to add to this: Paint Your Poison is 100% local to Lansing and offers the most fun paint parties around, check them out at http://www.paintyourpoison.com. The blacklight parties are especially fun, as well as the well thought out trivia they offer at every event!
Awesome! Thank you, Amanda! This is super helpful. Will get it on here shortly.