101 Fun and Creative Date Night Ideas in The Greater Lansing Area
If you’re in a relationship, we all have the common goal of cultivating and keeping that spark alive. Sometimes keeping those date nights unique can be tough. In part because of wanting something new to do and other times because we are wanting to stay within our budgets. After all, we still have to pay the babysitter, right? Well – we can help! We’ve made a list of 101 things to do in Lansing on a date night.
If you’re in the mood to go all out or just do something chill, here is a diverse list of things we think you’ll love doing together. We also like to use this list for fun things to do with friends.
Take a day trip to John Ball Zoo! Visit meerkats, tigers, chimpanzees, penguins, red pandas, otters, and more. Plus, don’t miss BRICKLIVE Animal Paradise – featuring over 40 life-sized animal sculptures created with over 1.8 million individually colored toy building bricks!
1300 W. Fulton St.
Grand Rapids, MI, 49504
101+ Fun Things to Do for Date Night in Lansing
Listed below are 101 things to do in Lansing for a fun night out with your sweetie.
We’ve got ideas for where to eat, where to chill, adventure date spots and more. Click on one of these categories to go directly to the Lansing date night ideas that interest you.
Eat – Where to Wine + Dine on Your Date Night
Favorite Date Restaurants in Lansing
Go to Dinner or Lunch, The greater Lansing area has exploded in the last few years with dining options.
Here are some of our favorite locations for great food + fun atmosphere.
**Writer’s note: This is NOT an all-inclusive list of the places around town. This list is suggestions our team knows you’ll enjoy. If you have a date night restaurant spot you’d like to see included, let us know by commenting below.
LANSING RESTAURANTS – DOWNTOWN, REO TOWN & OLD TOWN
Play board games, eat delicious snacks, and try their rotating drink options. They also have a DD menu that is really tasty and fun, making this a perfect destination for all.
They are known for their coffee but they have many other drink options as well as food.
Funky and unique pizza. Order the “Trust Us” and you won’t be disappointed. Afterward, head next door to Zoobies for drinks.
Their specialty is burgers, beignets, and bourbon. Try one of their unique burgers on a house-made bun.
Watch for their new location coming soon to REO Town. They call themselves beer scientists and allow BYOF (Bring your own food.)
LBC is always a great choice for games and beers on tap. Also, enjoy their live music on the patio during the warmer months.
A night out here is a win for lots of reasons – read why here! You’ll love their drink menu and all-around atmosphere.
Mmmmm, I can almost taste it now just thinking about it – We love going here because of all the fun sauces to try and rustic vibe. Copper cups and mason jar waters make this a really fun place to dine.
Fun, tasty, and lots of options!
We loved hanging here this past summer to eat on their patio from the food truck parked on the grounds each day.
We love going here in the summer when the walls open up to Michigan Avenue, but it’s just as yummy all year round.
Rain or shine this place rocks!
LANSING RESTAURANTS – EASTSIDE
The tapas-style food and beverages are delicious with a really fun, chill atmosphere. Their patio faces the sunset and is great for those nice summer evenings.
Arguably some of the best ramen in town! But you’ll have to be the judge. Try the Okonomiyaki fries and your taste buds will be dancing all night long.
Amazing staff and live music nights. This restaurant in Lansing has a walk-up ordering station for those nice summer nights when we want to walk around and do a few things in one night.
In the summer this can be such a great place if you’re looking for a chill date night out. Sit on the patio, then walk over to Strange Matter for a coffee = date night supreme.
Have you tried the soup flight!? It seems like each time we go here there’s something newly delicious to try. You CAN NOT go wrong hanging here.
Their inside location newly opened this year and it’s getting rave reviews.
GREATER LANSING RESTAURANTS – EAST
Make a reservation to hang out in your own unique Japanese-style seating room.
A great choice for a chill and cozy night.
Summer nights are a dream when you sit on their patio watching the sunset over Lake Lansing.
They offer three seating areas for dining. Plus, pride themselves in an outstanding beer and wine selection.
They call themselves beer scientists. At their East Lansing location, you can BYOF (Bring your own food) plus they have weekly food trucks. Watch for their new location coming soon to REO Town.
Best cheese dip around! You can’t go wrong with complimentary chips and salsa. In the warmer months, it’s dreamy to sit up on the patio at the East Lansing location. Try their new patio at the westside location, as well!
Delicious, Allergy-friendly, and a guaranteed delicious night out.
one word: delectable. Their butter chicken and naan are a 10!
This place is cool! Its darker and smaller quarters make it a great date spot.
There’s nothing not to love about Red Haven. Happy hour is great as well. Soooo good!
Unique seating in the entire restaurant, but rent their special rooms for a unique and special time.
This spot is off the beaten path in East Lansing. It’s got a great vibe and even better ramen. Gluten-free options available.
This is a tasty gem in Williamston.
GREATER LANSING RESTAURANTS – WEST
Choose from their salad bar or hot food bar, then sit in the new lounge area on the north side of the building or on the patio in the summer.
This delicious gem is tucked away near the Lansing mall and a great place for a quiet lovely meal.
Pho’ and Po Boys! What more could you want?! Oh, maybe a Vietnamese coffee would top that off nicely as well.
Happy hour, pool, and fun Located in Grand Ledge.
GREATER LANSING RESTAURANTS – NORTH
Wow! Their extensive knowledge of wine by their sommelier is a treat in itself. Try the roasted Brussel sprouts – they are perfection.
Head to any of these corporate places for a nice and delicious night out. One of our favorites is Bravo. It’s cozy in the winter and so nice and breezy in the summer on the patio.
This old church turned bar and hangout spot is really great and has games available.
These two places are located northeast in Owosso, have you been here yet? Two sisters opened up two separate but connected restaurants right next door to each other. We could gush about this place but it’s better if you just go and try them out. It’s so yummy and the building is beautiful!
LANSING RESTAURANTS – SOUTH
Igloos, drinks, and a great vibe.
Head here for a fantastically authentic and delicious meal.
Delicious authentic Asian food including Thai, Vietnamese, and Chinese.
Watch/Listen – Enriching Date Nights
Ready for a night of bliss for your ears and eyes? Below are date nights from jazz to country, ballet to hip-hop spinning DJ’s, and everywhere in between.
ENRICHING THINGS TO SEE AND HEAR ON A DATE NIGHT
Hear some amazing Jazz (Check these websites for their Jazz schedules)
- Jazz Wednesdays at Tavern & Tap
- Jazz Fest
- The Avenue experience a show/music performance and eat amazing ramen from Ruckus Ramen.
- The Exchange
- The Green Door
Sing and listen to the Blues: (See their websites for their schedules)
Listen to Records together at Record Shops
Listen to live music, storytelling, poetry and more at Blue Owl and get an awesome coffee.
Go see a Flick together at these theatres:
See a FREE Movie:
See an older movie for $5 and under in these theaters:
- Sun Theatre – Grand Ledge. Watch a movie for just $4 for a showing of a movie that’s already out of the major theatres.
- Williamston Sun Theatre All shows $5.
- Eaton Theatre in Charlotte All shows $5.
Experience the wonder of the Theatre:
- Wharton Center
- Peppermint Creek My dad was in a play here once and it was fantastic!
- All of Us Express Children’s Theatre
Go to Common Ground Plan a whole week of dates or pick one night of fun. (End of June)
Laugh together at a Comedy night
Have a mysterious Dinner at The Murder Mystery Co
See the beauty of Dance
Catch a Drive-in-Movie Take a trip to US 23 Drive In.
Watch Independent or Foreign films
- Celebration Indie Film Series Each month
- CADL Downtown Library
- Capitol City Film Festival
- East Lansing Film Festival
Go to a music show
Listen to live music in a unique venue:
- Concerts in the Park all over the Lansing area.
- Old Town General Store
- Record Lounge
- Loud Space Inc a great place to experience local talent.
Listen and enjoy Classical music at Absolute Music.
Have a blast from that past and go see an 80’s cover band.
Go to an event on Campus
Go to a Concert Series in the Park
Relax – Where to Have a Chill Date Night
If a relaxing night out sounds like a total dream then this is your list. We don’t get enough relaxing as parents let alone together! Here’s your list of relaxing things to do on a date night in Lansing.
Relax together at a Yoga class:
Get a Couples massage
- Creative Wellness
- Massage Green Spa 440 Frandor Ave, Lansing, MI 48912
See some beauty together at an Art Gallery or Museum
- Lansing Art Gallery
- Eli & Edyth Broad Art Musuem
- Michigan Historic Center
- Absolute Gallery
- Katalyst Art Gallery
Drive. This is one of my favorite things to do when I want to get out of town and spend some quality time with my guy. If you’ve never done this give it a try!
- Old 127 starts at the end of Cedar St. running North. Breathe a little and take in the trees at each season and end up at Uncle Johns Cider Mill. You could walk the orchard, grab a glass of wine in their tasting room, or just keep on driving.
- M-99 starts at the end of MLK running southwest. It will take you through some pretty green fields and plop you right in Eaton Rapids where you could get out and enjoy the view on a couple of their bridges.
- Through MSU Campus. You could get lost in all the winding roads or just take in the beauty that is MSU’s Campus. Either way it’s a great way to have nice talks or just relax together.
Walk through flower gardens.
Chill at a bookstore together with a treat and drink at these locations:
Go to a Museum
- Eli & Edyth Broad Art Museum
- Michigan Historic Museum and Library
- MSU Museum
- R.E. Olds Transportation Museum
- Curwood Castle/Art Museum
Grab some goodies, kombucha, a beer, or a glass of wine at the wine bar and tavern at Horrocks and sit on the Patio. If you’re feeling really ambitious, walk/run/bike there from the Sharpe Park trail!
Explore – Adventure Date Nights
These are some of my favorite things to do on a date night! The excitement of finding something new is awesome plus the closeness and bonding that happens is wonderful too. From geocaching and stargazing to road trips and “digging,” you’ll find this list of things to do on an adventurous date night intriguing.
Visit another city!
- Owosso: Two sister restaurants Lula’s Louisiana Cookhouse and Lily Pearls Lounge are a must visit! Grab a craft coffee at Foster Coffee Co and walk their adorable downtown area.
- Williamston: Check out Tavern 109 and walk around the cozy downtown area.
- Grand Rapids is just 45 minutes away with so much to offer!
- Detroit is just an hour drive and is an enormous amount of fun!
- Kalamazoo, home to great coffee shops and great food!
Take a nature walk/hike through:
Sit under the stars
Scooter through a portion of the city on Bird or Lime scooters parked around town.
Go Geocaching or letterboxing. Seriously, it’s so fun!
Take a ride on the Michigan Princess, Lansing’s Riverboat.
Go Fishing together
- Park Lake, 6499 Park Lake Rd, Bath, MI 48808-9718
- Lake Lansing, 6260 East Lake Drive Haslett, MI 48840
- Sharpe Park, 1401 Elmwood Rd, Lansing, MI 48917
- Crego Park, 1600 Fidelity Road,, Lansing, MI 48910
Pick Fruit at a local Orchard
Go Antiquing Here are some of our top picks.
- The VOA on Saginaw hwy,
- Vintage Marketplace
- REO Town Marketplace, lots of awesome places located including Vintage Junkies.
- The Mega Mall
- April’s Antiques
- St. Vincent De Paul
- East Lansing/Okemos: Metro Retro, Second Time Around, Kellie’s Consignments, Tiny Town
- Grand Ledge
Go digging (searching) for records
Visit some local artisans (open year round)
Check out an Arts Night Out. These nights rotate venues and is a great way to explore new places and artists work in our city.
Visit and explore Old Town
Stroll through REO Town
Take a walking tour of MSU This place is so big that multiple dates doing this might be fun.
Go to a Festival
Tour – Learning Date Nights
Finding out more about our city can be so much fun with these tours and learning experiences.
Take a self-guided or guided tour of the Capitol building.
Tour the Trails of Lansing Making a list of scavenger items can be a good time during this as well.
Do the Lansing Historic Walking Tour This is on my bucketlist this year. If you get to it before we do, we’d love to hear about it.
Take a Craft Beer Tour Michigan is home to some fabulous breweries. Find out more about them on this fun adventure.
Tour American Fifth Spirits Distillery. Then play some board games or just enjoy the drinks and snacks.
Travel up the Beaumont Tower on MSU’s Campus and possibly get to play the carillon.
Take the Demented Mitten Tours
Taste – Delicious Date Nights
Going out to eat is great…but doing something a little extra to spice it up is even better! Here are some fun things to do while you’re out to eat on a date night.
THINGS TO DO WHILE OUT TO EAT ON A DATE NIGHT
Eat on the patio
- Tavern and Tap
- Peanut Barrel
- El Azteco East Lansing
- Blue Gill Grill
- Dublin Square
- More options listed on our family friendly list.
Have a Picnic
- In one of Greater Lansing’s amazing Parks
- On the river in front at the new Rotary Park (Set to open in fall of 2019.)
Try some fun or unique food at these restaurants:
- Have a night of French cuisine at Envie in downtown Lansing.
- Go to the Church-Brewery at Looking Glass Brewing Co. Grab a Beer, Wine, or Cider. (Yay for GF options!)
- Eat awesome Pizza at Cosmos,then walk next door to Zoobies!
- Go Food Trucking
Tell us your favorites!
Have some delicious snacks
Peruse the Farmers markets. We have so many options in Michigan for this.
Have a Coffee at one of these fun shops:
- Strange Matter Downtown Lansing, East Michigan Ave
- Blue Owl REO Town Lansing, East Lansing
- Crafted Bean DeWitt, Lansing
- Foster Coffee Co Owosso, Flint, and soon to open in Downtown East Lansing.
Indulge your sweet tooth with your sweetie at Sweetielicious!
Enjoy wine tasting
- Sandhill Crane Vineyards and Winery 4724 Walz Road, Jackson
- Burgdorf’s Winery
- Uncle John’s Cider Mill
- Chateau Aeronautique Winery
Grab a Beer from a Brewery
- Midtown Brewing
- Lansing Brewing Company
- Ellison Brewery and Spirits
- Michigrain Distillery
- Ozone Brewhouse
- Find more great options on our family friendly list.
Drink Smoothies/Juice/Bubble Tea
Cook – Foodie Date Nights
If you’ve ever seen the movie Chef, Spanglish, or watched any sort of foodie tv then you know how glamorous eating and making food together can seem – spoiler alert! It actually is awesome to do this IRL (in real life!!!) Here are some places to do that here in Lansing.
Williams Sonoma Learn fun new tricks at Eastwood Towncenter.
Al!ve Charlotte Take classes in many types of cooking styles and techniques.
Le Chat Gourmet Eaton Rapids has a full list of fun classes to take with your sweetheart.
Create – Make Things on Your Date Night
Making something together can be so refreshing and inspiring! If you’re a creative person then you’ll love these and if you’re not – don’t worry, these places are ready to help you get started plus give tips to create something wonderful together. Here are some of Lansing’s greatest creatives and creative spots for your next date night.
- Wheel House Studio REO Town, Lansing
- Playing Picasso Frandor, Lansing
- Art Unlimited Okemos
- Sunset Clay Studio Lansing
- REACH Art Studio REO Town, Lansing
Take a print making class with ALT Printing Co. It’s SO fun!
Take a Painting Class
Try out a variety of Art classes at REACH Art Studio.
Create something great at the Eli & Edyth Broad Art Museum Call for information on class events.
Move/Play – Active Date Nights
Get moving with these Lansing “play” favorites!
Adult Arcade bar Have so much fun at The Grid!
Go Kayaking with Rivertown Adventures. From hour rentals, to events they’ve got so much fun waiting for you!
Go to a Trivia night (Check location for times)
- Claddagh, Eastwood
- The Nuthouse, Lansing
- Piazzano’s, Lansing
- The Green Door, Lansing
- Moriarty’s Pub, Lansing
- Gus’s Bar, Lansing
- Stage – 1785 W State Rd, Lansing
- The Tin Can, East Lansing
- Jimmy’s Pub, East Lansing
- City Limits East, East Lansing, and Mason
- Henry’s Place, 4926 Marsh Rd, Okemos
- The Classic Pub and Grill
- Buddies, Okemos and Holt
- Charlie’s Bar & Grill, Holt, Diamondale, and Potterville.
- Champions Sports Bar, Holt
- Ryan’s Roadhouse, St. Johns
- Sirens, St Johns
- Wagon Wheel, Portland
- Renucci’s Tavern – 540 N. State St. Ionia
Play board games at American Fifths while you enjoy the drinks and snacks.
- MSU Union Building Don’t forget to stop at the MSU Dairy Store located in the same building!
- Spare Time Lansing There are many other fun options here too! Laser Tag, Arcade, and more!
- Royal Scot is a family favorite as well and is located on Lansing’s west side.
- City Limits East on the east side.
Jump in and swim together.
- Outdoor Waterparks, pools, and more.
- Indoor Water Play
Play some Volleyball
- Coach’s Pub and Grill
- MiLife Sports
- Spare Time
- Sharp Park, 1401 Elmwood Rd, Lansing, MI 48917
- Trinity Church
- Burchfield Park, 881 Grovenburg Road Holt, MI 48842
- Lake Lansing, 6260 East Lake Drive Haslett, MI 48840
- Reno’s North.
Play a pickup game of basketball
Pickup games of soccer
Bike on your own or with these rental spots:
Play Dodgeball at MiLife Sports
Go Hiking at the many parks and trails around the Greater Lansing Area
Take a dance class:
- Salsa at Platinum Dance Academy
- Ballroom dance at Platinum Dance Academy
- Swing Dancing
- Wellness Dance at Eli & Edyth Broad Art Museum
Go golfing together. Here are some fun spots for dates:
Hit the target (or at least try) at Bull’s Eye Axe Throwing in Lansing
Go Rock climbing at Al!ve.
Have a blast at a High Ropes Courses in Howell, MI
Jump for joy together!
Have some Horseshoe fun.
Sled, Go Tubing/sledding in the winter at Burchfield, Granger Meadows Park, or Hawk Island where all have snack bars.
Hold hands while you Iceskate
Ski at Mt. Brighton This is such a cool idea for close-by extreme fun!
Go Roller Skating and remember what it was like to be young again at Edru Skate
Cheer – Sports and Team Date Nights
Lansing is known for its sports fans and if you’re one of them or your sweetie is, these are some really fun options for a date night.
Cheer on the Lansing Lugnuts At the Cooley Law Stadium
Check out our new soccer team Ignite Lansing at Cooley Law Stadium.
Catch all the action at a Roller Derby
Cheer on Cars, Buses and more at Spartan Speedway
LCC Sports support local talent.
Watch the Lansing Legends play an exciting game of basketball.
Spartan Basketball Get to the Breslin and cheer on this amazing team!
Spartan Baseball Take em’ out to the ballgame.
Spartan Hockey Ice fights and fast-paced fun at Munn.
Spartan Gymnastics Awe and cheer on the strength of these athletes.
Spartan Swimming and Diving Check out this cool experience in the beautiful old buildings on campus.