101 Fun and Creative Date Night Ideas in The Greater Lansing Area
If you’re in a relationship then we all have the common goal of cultivating and keeping that spark alive. Sometimes keeping those date nights unique can be tough. In part because of wanting something new to do and other times because we are wanting to keep to our budgets. After-all we still have to pay the babysitter right? Well – we can help! We’ve made a list of 101 things to do in Lansing on a date night.
If you’re in the mood to go all out or just do something chill, here is a diverse list of things we think you’ll love doing together. I also like to use this list for fun things to do with friends.
101 Fun Things to Do for Date Night in Lansing
Listed below are 101 things to do in Lansing for a fun night out with your sweetie. In case you’re looking for something specific besides just going out to eat we’ve sectioned ideas into these categories:
Watch/Listen, Relax, Explore, Tour, Taste, Cook, Create, Move/Play, and Cheer.
Go to Dinner or Lunch The greater Lansing area has exploded in the last few years with dining options. Try something new on this delicious list.
Watch/Listen: (Enriching things to do)
Hear some amazing Jazz (Check these websites for their Jazz schedules)
- Jazz Wednesdays at Tavern and Tap
- Jazz Fest
- The Avenue Experience a show/music performance and eat amazing Ramen from Ruckus Ramen.
- The Exchange
- The Green Door
Sing and listen to the Blues: (See their websites for their schedules)
Listen to Records together at Record Shops
Listen to live music, storytelling, poetry and more at Blue Owl and get an awesome coffee.
Go see a Flick together at these theatres:
- Studio C
- Regal Cinema
- NCG Eastwood
- Sun Theatre – Grand Ledge. Watch a movie for just $2 for a showing of a movie that’s already out of the major theatres.
Experience the wonder of the Theatre!
- Wharton Center
- Peppermint Creek My dad was in a play here once and it was fantastic!
- All of Us Express Children’s Theatre
Common Ground Plan a whole week of dates or pick one night of fun.
Laugh together at a Comedy night
Have a mysterious Dinner at The Murder Mystery Co
See the beauty of Dance
Catch a Drive-in-Movie Take a trip to US 23 Drive In.
See a Movie in the Park
- Moonlight Film Festival
- Downtown Lansing hosts in fun places all over the city like that Capitol Lawn, Golf course etc.
- Grand Ledge
Watch Independant or Foreign films
- Celebration Indie Film Series Each month
- CADL Downtown Library
- Capitol City Film Festival
- East Lansing Film Festival
Go to a music show
Listen to live music in a unique venue
- Old Town General Store
- Record Lounge
- Lansing Market at the Waterfront Bar and Grill
- Grand Concert Series
Listen and enjoy Classical music at Absolute Music
Have a blast from that past and go see an 80’s cover band!
Go to an event on Campus!
Go to a Concert Series
Relax: (Chill things to do)
Relax together at a Yoga class:
Get a Couples massage
See some beauty together at an Art Gallery or Museum
- Lansing Art Gallery
- Eli & Edyth Broad Art Musuem
- Michigan Historic Center
- Absolute Gallery
- Katalyst Art Gallery
Drive. This is one of my favorite things to do when I want to get out of town and spend some quality time with my guy. If you’ve never done this give it a try!
- Old 127 starts at the end of Cedar St. running North. Breathe a little and take in the trees at each season and end up at Uncle Johns Cider Mill. You could walk the orchard, grab a glass of wine in their tasting room, or just keep on driving.
- M-99 starts at the end of MLK running South West. It will take you through some pretty green fields and plop you right in Eaton Rapids where you could get out and enjoy the view on a couple of their bridges.
- Through MSU Campus. You could get lost in all the winding roads or just take in the beauty that is MSU’s Campus. Either way it’s a great way to have nice talks or just relax together.
Walk through flower gardens.
Chill at a bookstore together with a treat and drink at a
- Schuler Books
- Barnes and Noble
- Book Burrow (a Lansing favorite)
- Curious Books and Archives Book Store
Go to a Museum
- Eli & Edyth Broad Art Museum
- Michigan Historic Museum and Library
- MSU Museum
- RE-Oldsmobile Museum
- Curwood Castle/Art Museum
Grab some goodies, kombucha, a beer, or a glass of wine at the wine bar and tavern at Horrocks and sit on the Patio. If you’re feeling really ambitious, walk/run/bike there from the Sharpe Park trail!
Explore: (Adventurous things to do)
Visit another city!
- Owosso: Two sister restaurants Lula’s Louisiana Cookhouse and Lily Pearls Lounge are a must visit! Grab a craft coffee at Fosters and walk their adorable downtown area.
- Williamston: Check out Tavern 109 and walk around the cozy downtown area.
- Grand Rapids is just 45 minutes away with so much to offer!
- Detroit is just an hour drive and is an enormous amount of fun!
- Kalamazoo, home to great coffee shops and great food!
Take a nature walk/hike
- Lansing River Trail
- Woldumar Nature Center
- Fenner Nature Center
- Harris Nature Center
- Fitzgerald Park Ledges and Trails
Sit under the stars
Scooter through a portion of the city on Bird or Lime scooters parked around town.
Go Geocaching or letterboxing. Seriously, it’s so fun!
Take a ride on the Michigan Princess, Lansing’s Riverboat.
Go Fishing together
- Park Lake, 6499 Park Lake Rd, Bath, MI 48808-9718
- Lake Lansing, 6260 East Lake Drive Haslett, MI 48840
- Sharpe Park, 1401 Elmwood Rd, Lansing, MI 48917
- Crego Park, 1600 Fidelity Road,, Lansing, MI 48910
Pick Fruit at a local Orchard
- Hazen’s Farm
- Uncle John’s Cider Mill, 8614 N US 27, St. Johns, MI 48879
- Clearview Orchards, 1051 Barry Road, Haslett, MI 48840
- Barkham Creek Farm, 181 Haslett Road, Haslett, MI 48840
Go Antiquing Here are some of our top picks.
- The VOA on Saginaw HWY,
- Vintage Marketplace
- ReoTown Marketplace, lots of awesome places here including Vintage Junkies, and Pedal and Tea
- The Mega Mall,
- St. Vincent De Paul,
- East Lansing/Okemos: Metro Retro, Second Time Around, Kellie’s Consignments, Tiny Town,
- Grand Ledge
Go digging (searching) for records
Visit some local artisans (open year round)
Check out an Arts Night Out. These nights rotate venues and is a great way to explore new places and artists work in our city.
Visit and explore Old Town
Stroll through Reotown
Take a walking tour of MSU This place is so big that multiple dates doing this may be fun.
Go to a Festival
Tour: (Learning things to do)
Take a self-guided or guided tour of the Capitol building
Tour the Trails of Lansing Making a list of scavenger items can be a good time during this as well.
Do the Lansing Historic Walking Tour This is on my bucketlist this year. If you get to it before we do, we'd love to hear about it.
Take a Craft Beer Tour Michigan is home to some fabulous brewery's. Find out more about them on this fun adventure.
Tour American Fifth Spirits Distillery. Then play some board games or just enjoy the drinks and snacks.
Travel up the Beaumont Tower on MSU Campus and possibly get to play the Carillon.
Taste: (Things to do out to eat)
Eat on the patio
- Tavern and Tap
- Peanut Barrel,
- El Azteco East Lansing (one of my favs!)
- Blue Gill Grill,
- Dublin Square
Have a Picnic
Try some fun or unique food at these restaurants:
- Have a night of French cuisine at Envie in downtown Lansing.
- Go to the Church-Brewry at Looking Glass Brewing Co. Grab a Beer, Wine, or Cider. (Yay for GF options!)
- Eat awesome Pizza at Cosmos then walk next door to Zoobies!
- Go Food Trucking
Have some delicious snacks
Peruse the Farmers markets. We have so many options in Michigan for this.
Have a Coffee at one of the great new places:
Indulge your sweet tooth with your sweetie at Sweetielicious!
Enjoy wine tasting
- Sandhill Crane Vineyards, Jackson
- Burgdorf’s Winery
- Uncle John’s Cider Mill
- Chateau Aeronautique Winery
Grab a Beer
Cook: (Things to do with food)
William Sonoma Learn fun new tricks at Eastwood Towncenter.
Le Chat Gourmet Eaton Rapids has a full list of fun classes to take with your sweetheart.
Create: (creative things to do)
Take a Painting Class
Try out a variety of Art classes at REACH Art Studio.
Create something great at the Eli & Edyth Broad Art Museum Call for information on class events.
Move/Play: (Things to DO - activily)
Adult Arcade bar Have so much fun at the The Grid !
Go Kayaking with Rivertown Adventures. From hour rentals to events they’ve got so much fun waiting for you!
Go to a Trivia night (Check location for times)
- Claddagh in Eastwood.
- The Nuthouse, Lansing
- Piazzano's Lansing
- The Green Door Lansing
- Moriarty's Pub
- Gus's Bar Lansing
- Stage - 1785 W State Rd, Lansing
- The Tin Can East Lansing
- Jimmy's Pub E. Lansing
- City Limits East, E. Lansing and Mason
- Henry's Place 4926 Marsh Rd, Okemos
- The Classic Pub and Grill
- Buddies, Okemos and Holt
- Charlies Bar & Grill Holt
- Champions Sports Bar Holt
- Ryan's Roadhouse St. Johns
- Sirens in St Johns
- Wagon Wheel Portland
- Renucci's Tavern - 540 N. State St. Ionia
American Fifths! Play some board games or just enjoy the drinks and snacks.
- MSU Union Building Don’t forget to stop at the MSU Dairy Store located in the same building!
- Spare Time Lansing There are many other fun options here too! Laser Tag, Arcade, and more!
- Royal Scott is a family favorite as well and is located Lansing’s west side.
- City Limits East on the east side.
Jump in and swim together.
- Outdoor Water play
- Indoor Water Play
Play some Volleyball
- Coach’s Pub and Grill
- MiLife Sports
- Spare Time
- Sharpe Park, 1401 Elmwood Rd, Lansing, MI 48917
- Trinity Church
- Birchfield Park, 881 Grovenburg Road Holt, MI 48842
- Lake Lansing, 6260 East Lake Drive Haslett, MI 48840
Play a pickup game of basketball
Pick up games of soccer
Bike on your own or with Rivertown Adventures.
Play Dodgeball at MiLife Sports
Go Hiking at the many parks and trails around the Greater Lansing Area
Take a Run together on one of the many trails around town. Our parks guide indicates which parks have trails and in most cases where they lead to. Two of my favorites is the Hawk Island and Riverfront Trails.
Take a dance class:
- Salsa at Platinum Dance Academy
- Line dance at the Tequila Cowboy Bar and Grill
- Ballroom dance at Platinum Dance Academy
- Swing Dancing
- Wellness Dance at Eli & Edyth Broad Art Museum
Take a Walk on the many trails.
Go golfing together
Play some Tennis in one of the park around town.
Go Rock climbing at Alive!
Have a blast at a High Ropes Courses in Howell, MI
Jump for joy together!
Have some Horseshoe fun.
Sled, Go Tubing/sledding in the winter at Birchfield, Granger, or Hawk Island where all have snack bars.
Hold hands while you Iceskate
Ski at Mt. Brighton This is such a cool idea for close by extreme fun!
Go Roller Skating and remember what it was like to be young aain at Edru Roller Rink
Cheer: (Sports things to do)
Cheer on the Lansing Lugnuts At the Cooley Law Stadium
Catch all the action at a Roller Derby
Cheer on Cars, Busses and more at Spartan Speedway
LCC Sports support local talent.
Spartan Basketball Get to the Breslin and cheer on this amazing team!
Spartan Baseball Take em' out to the ballgame.
Spartan Hockey Ice fights and fast paced fun at Munn.
Spartan Gymnastics Awe and cheer on the strength of these athletes.
Spartan Swimming and Diving Check out this cool experience in the beautiful old buildings on campus.
Any of these sound fun? I can’t wait to get out there with my hunny and try out some more things to do in Lansing.
Have you done some of these already? We would love for you to share your adventures with us. Let us know in the comments below what was a blast, if you have tips, or if you have an idea to add to the list.
Happy galavanting, Lansing friends and families!